What is CardLock?
- CardLock is a new and innovative fraud prevention service that enables cardholders to block and unblock purchase authorizations on their credit union-issued credit and debit card accounts
- CardLock is the only fraud prevention service of its kind that gives cardholders this level of control to proactively lock and unlock their accounts.
- CardLock works as an additional layer of protection against fraud to supplement the fraud prevention measures already in place for the credit union.
- CardLock protects payment card accounts in the same manner that locks protect homes and cars or any other valuable assets. When you’re not using your car, you lock it. When you’re away from your home, you lock it. Now, when you’re not using your payment card, you can lock it, too.
How does CardLock work?
- All payment card transactions - whether initiated directly at a merchant location, over the phone, or via the Internet - go through an electronic process to determine whether the transaction will be authorized or approved.
- CardLock enables cardholders for the first time to directly control a special parameter in the authorization sequence that tells the process whether to block (or not block) the transaction from proceeding.
- When a cardholder locks his/her account with CardLock, any attempt to authorize a transaction on that account will be declined and no fraudulent charge will occur.
- In addition, if an attempt to authorize a transaction on a locked card occurs the cardholder will get a call from the fraud department alerting him or her that a transaction has been attempted on their locked account.
Note: Transactions that have been set up properly by a merchant to be recurring in nature, such as a fitness club membership, will not be declined, even if the cardholder has locked the account.
How do I sign up for the CardLock service?
You enroll in the CardLock service by phone or by visiting the CardLock web site. Here’s the process for each enrollment channel:
Enrollment by Phone
- Call (877) 285-6251 (877-CULOCK1).
- You will be prompted to press #, then to press 1 to enroll.
- Enter the 16-digit account number to enroll. (You can add others later.)
- Enter a 4-digit security key code. (You create it and use for future CardLock activity.)
- Confirm/enter a phone number to associate with the account.
- You may then enter additional account numbers and/or phone numbers.
Enrollment by Web
- Go to www.cucardlock.com.
- Enter a username (a valid e-mail address) and create a password that you will need to remember in order to establish an account.
- Enter your card number. (Others can be added later.)
- Create and enter a 4-digit key code that you will use for all lock/unlock and other CardLock activity.
- Enter the last 4 numbers of your SSN. If you are not the primary cardholder on the account, please enter the last 4 numbers of the primary’s SSN.
- Click “enroll” and sign in with your username and password when prompted.
- Now you can lock your card, add more cards, and add telephone numbers to your record.
Once an account number is enrolled, you can lock or unlock the account at any time, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
Please note a 24-hour wait period following card activation is required for new debit cards accounts prior to registering them for CardLock.
What if I have a joint account or an account where we have separate card numbers tied to the same master account?
With joint accounts, you will have the same account number and same card numbers. It is important to know that any action take by one cardholder will impact the account for the other cardholder as well. At registration a 4-digit security key code will be created, which will be shared. You can register multiple phone numbers so, for example, either person could call and be recognized in the phone system from your own cell phones.
It is important to note that in the CardLock system, data is identified with the master account number, not the individual card numbers. Therefore, any CardLock action, including registration, taken by one member will impact all other individuals under the master account, even if the numbers on your credit and/or debit cards are unique. For example, if you lock your card, the cards of your spouse, children, or others under the same master account will also be locked. If one of the account members unlocks a card, all will be unlocked.
How do I lock or unlock my account?
You can lock and unlock your account(s) by phone, via a mobile phone application, or by visiting the CardLock web site. Mobile phone download instructions are found on the CardLock website. Here’s the process for each channel:
Locking or Unlocking by Phone (assumes account and related phone number(s) are already registered):
- Call (877) 285-6251 (877-CULOCK1).
- Select the option to lock or unlock an account.
- Enter your 4-digit security key code when prompted; listen to current account status.
- Select the option to change the lock status as desired.
Locking or Unlocking by Web (assumes you have previously enrolled and registered the account):
- Go to www.cucardlock.com.
- Enter your username and password. A list of locked/unlocked accounts displays.
- Select account to lock or unlock; click the lock icon to the right of the number.
- Enter and confirm your 4-digit security key code.
- Click Lock.The list refreshes, displaying the updated card status.
Locking or Unlocking by Mobile Phone Application (you must first register on the web to create your username, password, and security keycode):
- Bring up your CardLock application.
- Enter your username and password and log in (after your first use, the application will remember both).
- Select your desired action and card from the dashboard.
- Enter your security keycode.
- Touch lock/unlock to complete the action.
How is CardLock different from the credit union’s other fraud detection services?
- Fraud detection services are designed to evaluate the likelihood that a transaction attempt is fraudulent based on a history of cardholder or merchant behavior. So, it is still possible that an account can be used without your knowledge or permission in a fraudulent transaction. CardLock gives cardholders an extra level of protection against fraud. When you use CardLock to lock your account, all transaction authorization attempts on the account will be declined; no fraud will happen and you will be notified if an attempt is made to use your locked account in a transaction. CardLock is proactive fraud protection.
- All homes come equipped with door locks to prevent unauthorized or unwanted entry. Yet, many homeowners install additional locks and alarms to provide greater levels of security and protection. Think of CardLock in the same way, only for payment card accounts. CardLock is like a deadbolt lock with a built-in alert system to provide you with even higher levels of fraud protection.
- Once an account number is enrolled, you can lock or unlock the account at any time, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
How can I get help if I have issues with using CardLock?
Support for any CardLock-related issues is available by calling:
(877) 285-6251 (877-CULOCK1)
How does CardLock work with automatic recurring transactions?
Locking a credit or debit card has no effect on previously authorized charges to an account, provided the merchant has properly set up their operation for the recurring charges and uses a recurring transaction identifier on the transaction.
For example, if you have arranged for recurring ACH payments to pay for your fitness club account, these charges will still go through and post to the specified account as long as the merchant has set up and sent the transaction as a recurring one.
What if I forget to unlock my card and I use it in a transaction?
The transaction will be declined (not authorized). You will need to call the toll-free number for CardLock, use your mobile application, or visit the CardLock web site to unlock your card. This process takes just a few moments and the account will be immediately unlocked. At that time you may ask the merchant to process the transaction, or, if you are making an online purchase, you may resubmit your purchase request.
What are some practical reasons I should lock my card?
- The number one reason is to ensure no fraud will occur on your account while it is not being used.
- Some people are skeptical about security on the Internet and are concerned that their account number will be intercepted and used to make unauthorized purchases. With CardLock, you can have the confidence to shop online and then lock your account after shopping to protect it from fraud.
- Some people keep a credit card for emergency purposes. CardLock can be used to protect it from unauthorized use during dormant periods.
Does CardLock work for all of the credit union’s credit and debit cards?
Check with your credit union staff to verify the payment card types that can be lock and unlocked with CardLock.